Dr Joe Berry
- Biological fluid flows
- Colloid & interface science
- Drop coalescence
- Fluid dynamics
- Numerical modelling
- Soft matter
My research focusses on the development and application of numerical models to solve complex, multi-disciplinary problems in order to yield quantitative understanding directly relevant to industry. I work closely with scientists and engineers of diverse backgrounds and disciplines in order to maximise the impact of my research. I work on a wide range of multidisciplinary problems including small- and large-scale stem-cell bioreactors, droplet coalescence & breakup, drag reduction on bluff bodies in turbulent flows, and measurement techniques of soft matter materials.
- Hertaeg MJ, Tabor RF, Berry J, Garnier G. Dynamics of stain growth from sessile droplets on paper. JOURNAL OF COLLOID AND INTERFACE SCIENCE. Academic Press. 2019, Vol. 541. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2019.01.032
- Jamieson E, Fewkes C, Berry J, Dagastine R. Forces between oil drops in polymer-surfactant systems: Linking direct force measurements to microfluidic observations. JOURNAL OF COLLOID AND INTERFACE SCIENCE. Academic Press. 2019, Vol. 544. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2019.02.051
- Mettu S, Berry J, Dagastine R. Charge and Film Drainage of Colliding Oil Drops Coated with the Nonionic Surfactant C12E5. LANGMUIR. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 33, Issue 20. DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.6b04632
- Prathapan R, Berry J, Fery A, Garnier G, Tabor RF. Decreasing the Wettability of Cellulose Nanocrystal Surfaces Using Wrinkle-Based Alignment. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 17. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.7b03094
- Pillai R, Berry J, Harvie D, Davidson M. Electrophoretically mediated partial coalescence of a charged microdrop. 11th International Conference on CFD in the Minerals and Process Industries (CFD). Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 169. DOI: 10.1016/j.ces.2016.07.022
- Berry J, Dagastine R. Mapping coalescence of micron-sized drops and bubbles. JOURNAL OF COLLOID AND INTERFACE SCIENCE. Academic Press. 2017, Vol. 487. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2016.10.040
- Berry J, Vakarelski IU, Chan D, Thoroddsen ST. Navier slip model of drag reduction by Leidenfrost vapor layers. PHYSICS OF FLUIDS. American Institute of Physics. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1063/1.4993298
- Berry J, Mettu S, Dagastine R. Precise measurements of capsule mechanical properties using indentation. SOFT MATTER. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2017, Vol. 13, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1039/c6sm02841a
- Berry J, Liovic P, Sutalo ID, Stewart RL, Glattauer V, Meagher L. Characterisation of stresses on microcarriers in a stirred bioreactor. APPLIED MATHEMATICAL MODELLING. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 40, Issue 15-16. DOI: 10.1016/j.apm.2016.02.025
- Pillai R, Berry J, Harvie D, Davidson M. Electrokinetics of isolated electrified drops. SOFT MATTER. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 12, Issue 14. DOI: 10.1039/c6sm00047a
- Vakarelski IU, Berry J, Chan D, Thoroddsen ST. Leidenfrost Vapor Layers Reduce Drag without the Crisis in High Viscosity Liquids. PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS. American Physical Society. 2016, Vol. 117, Issue 11. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.117.114503
- Davidson M, Berry J, Pillai R, Harvie D. Numerical simulation of two-fluid flow of electrolyte solution with charged deforming interfaces. Applied Mathematical Modelling. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 40, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1016/j.apm.2015.09.011
- Pillai R, Berry J, Harvie D, Davidson M. Electrolytic drops in an electric field: A numerical study of drop deformation and breakup. PHYSICAL REVIEW E. American Physical Society. 2015, Vol. 92, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevE.92.013007
- Pillai R, Berry J, Harvie D, Davidson M. Electrophoretic effects on satellite droplet formation during electrocoalescence of microdrops. 11th International Conference on CFD in the Minerals and Process Industries. 2015. Editors: Solnordal CB, Liovic B, Delaney GW, Cummins SJ, Schwarz MP, Witt PJ.
- Liovic P, Sutalo ID, Berry J. Lagrangian particle tracking post-processing for linking CFD to bioreactor analysis. 11th International Conference on CFD in the Minerals and Process Industries. 2015.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile