Professor David Shallcross
- Chemical engineering education
- Ion exchange and psychrometry
Professor David Shallcross is Director of the Engineering Learning Unit in the Melbourne School of Engineering.
Professor Shallcross is an expert in chemical engineering education. He is currently the External Examiner for the Chemical Engineering programs at Universiti Tecknologi Mara in Kuala Lumper, Malaysia and for Nazarbayev University in Kazakhstan. He is a corresponding member of the European Federation of Chemical Engineering Working Party on Education.
The research interests of Prof David Shallcross are in two broad areas: chemical engineering education and ion exchange. Ion exchange is an important separation process with applications ranging from water treatment in power station to the preparation of high-value dairy products.
Professor Shallcross is editor-in-chief of Education for Chemical Engineers published by Elsevier. This peer-reviewed journal is the official journal of the European Federation of Chemical Engineering. His education research interests focus on the use of concept maps to assess student learning.
Current Research Interests
- Chemical Engineering Education
- Environmental Engineering
- Water Purification
- Shallcross D, Alpay E. EJEE Special Issue: Learning for Learning: Formative Assessment Practices in Engineering Education. European Journal of Engineering Education. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2018, Vol. 43, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1080/03043797.2017.1412401
- Mendoza A, Shallcross D. Assessment and rapid feedback for oral presentations. 6th International Symposium of Engineering Education (ISEE). 2016. Editors: Kapranos P.
- Adamovic M, Gulyas A, Olsen J, Gahan P, Shallcross D, Mendoza A. Explaining the take-up of virtual work: The role of virtual self-efficacy and virtual work climate. 76th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, AOM 2016. 2016. DOI: 10.5465/AMBPP.2016.232
- Shallcross D, Mendoza A. Rapid Feedback for Oral Presentations. 2015 Australasian Association for Engineering Education Conference (AAEE). 2015.
- Alias Ales A, Shallcross D, Sharifah ASAK. Rice husk combustion evolved gas analysis experiments and modelling. BIOMASS & BIOENERGY. Pergamon. 2015, Vol. 78. DOI: 10.1016/j.biombioe.2015.04.002
- Shallcross D. Safety shares in the chemical engineering class room. Education for Chemical Engineers. Institution of Chemical Engineers. 2014, Vol. 9, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1016/j.ece.2014.06.002
- Rustam M, Shallcross D. Temperature-Dependent Model for the Prediction of Binary Ion Exchange Equilibria Involving Na+, K+, Ca2+ and Mg2+ Ions. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. American Chemical Society. 2014, Vol. 53, Issue 34. DOI: 10.1021/ie5020102
- Shallcross D. Safety education through case study presentations. Education for Chemical Engineers. Institution of Chemical Engineers. 2013, Vol. 8, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1016/j.ece.2012.10.002
- Shallcross D. Using concept maps to assess learning of safety case studies – The Piper Alpha disaster. Education for Chemical Engineers. Institution of Chemical Engineers. 2013, Vol. 8, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1016/j.ece.2013.02.001
- Shallcross D. Using Concept Maps to Assess Learning of Safety Case Studies: The Eschede Train Disaster. International Journal of Engineering Education. Dublin Institute of Technology, Tempus Publications. 2013, Vol. 29, Issue 5.
- Cameron I, Crosthwaite C, Shallcross D, Hadgraft R, Dalvean J, Maynard N, Tade M, Kavanagh J, Lukey G. Addressing interdisciplinary process engineering design, construction and operations through 4D virtual environments. 21st European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering (ESCAPE 21 2011). Elsevier Science. 2011.
- Maynard N, Tade M, Lukey G, Shallcross D, Hadgraft R, Dalvean J, Cameron I, Crosthwaite C, Kavanagh J. Immersive and interactive learning environments - A tale of four plants. SEFI Annual Conference 2011. 2011.
- Shallcross D, Buskes G, Dagastine R. Teaching First Year Engineering Design and Design Criteria-The Thames Barrier. International Journal of Engineering Education. Dublin Institute of Technology, Tempus Publications. 2011, Vol. 27, Issue 1.
- Wappel D, Joswig S, Khan AA, Smith K, Kentish S, Shallcross D, Stevens G. The solubility of sulfur dioxide and carbon dioxide in an aqueous solution of potassium carbonate. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. Elsevier. 2011, Vol. 5. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijggc.2011.08.002
- Shallcross D. A concept inventory for material and energy balances. Education for Chemical Engineers. Institution of Chemical Engineers. 2010, Vol. 5, Issue 1.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile