Professor Greg Qiao
Greg Qiao is Professor of Macromolecular Chemistry and Engineering and Assistant Dean (Research) in the Melbourne School of Engineering. He is also a Deputy Head of the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.
His current Research Activities include:
Environmental Engineering - Greenhouse Gas Recovery
Nano and Biomolecular Engineering - Nanostructured Materials, Tissue Engineering
Materials and Minerals Engineering - Polymer Science
The research interests of Greg Qiao are in the area of synthetic polymer science and engineering. His research applies various polymerization techniques, including controlled free radical polymerizations, to synthesize novel polymeric architectures, biodegradable and functional polymers. His industrial research is in the synthesis of the nanogels for automotive coatings and the novel hydrogels for biological separations. The research in biopolymers is focused on applications in tissue engineering.
Greg leads an internationally recognized Polymer Science Group in the Department and is currently the president of the Victorian Polymer Group under Royal Australia Chemical Institute. He is also a project leader of the Cooperative Research Centre for Greenhouse Gas Technologies (CO2CRC) and CRC for Polymers.
Caruso, F., Qiao, G. G., Blencowe, A. R., Goh, T. K., Connal, L. A. & Such, G. K. Preparation of a crosslinked multilayer film. (US Application: US20110250353 A1 20111013, 2011)
Caruso, F., Qiao, G. G., Blencowe, A. R., Goh, T. K., Connal, L. A. & Such, G. K. Preparation of a crosslinked multilayer film. (Patent Number: US20110250353A1, 2011) Solomon, D. H., Prime, E. L., Sunartio, D., Qiao, G. G., Dagley, I. & Blencowe, A. Method for controlling water evaporation. (Application: WO patent application 2009-AU1684, 2010).
Qiao, G. G.; Powell, C. Kentish, S.; Gas Separation Membranes and Processes For The Manufacture Thereof. (PCT Int. Appl. 2008: PCT2007906042; US Application: US 61/001879, 2008)
Qiao, G.G.; Connal, L.; Wiltshire, J.; Porous Polymeric Materials and Polymer Particles For Preparation Thereof (PCT Full Patent, November, 2006)
Qiao, G.G.; Solomon, D.H.; Gurr, P.; Mills, M. Microgel Composition ( PCT Int. Appl. 2003, PCT AU2003/01580)
Solomon, D.H.; Qiao, G.G.; Kwok, A.; Hydrogel Preparation and Process for Manufacture ( PCT Int. Appl. 2003, PCT AU2003/001680 )
Solomon. D.H.; Qiao, G.G.; Caulfield, M. J. Atchison, S. Process for Preparation of Ultra Thin Membranes ( PCT Int. Appl. 2001, PCT AU01/01030; WO 0213956; US 09/645956)
Qiao, G.G.; Solomon, D.H.; Shaw, R.W.; Juric D. D. Improved Carbon Composites ( PCT Int. Appl. 2000, WO 0056811; EP 1210387; NO 2001004604; ZA 2001007808;)
Solomon, D.H.; Qiao, G.G.; Abrol. S. Process for Microgel Preparation ( PCT Int. Appl. 1999, 53 pp. WO 9958588; US6545095; TW 444024; AU 9936924; CA 2331785; EP 1076668; JP 2002514667)
- Liu B, Ranji-Burachaloo H, Gurr P, Goudeli E, Qiao G. A nontoxic reversible thermochromic binary system via pi-pi stacking of sulfonephthaleins. Journal of Materials Chemistry C. RSC Press. 2019, Vol. 7, Issue 30. DOI: 10.1039/c9tc02071c
- Qiu W, Gurr P, Qiao G. Color-Switchable Polar Polymeric Materials. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 32. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.9b09023
- Ranji-Burachaloo H, Reyhani A, Gurr P, Dunstan D, Qiao G. Combined Fenton and starvation therapies using hemoglobin and glucose oxidase. NANOSCALE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 12. DOI: 10.1039/c8nr09107b
- Ren J, Knight AS, Van Ravensteijn BGP, Kohl P, Zerdan RB, Li Y, Lunn DJ, Abdilla A, Qiao G, Hawker CJ. DNA-Inspired Strand-Exchange for Switchable PMMA-Based Supramolecular Morphologies. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 141, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.8b12964
- Reyhani A, McKenzie T, Fu Q, Qiao G. Fenton-Chemistry-Mediated Radical Polymerization. Macromolecular Rapid Communications. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2019, Vol. 40, Issue 18. DOI: 10.1002/marc.201900220
- Reyhani A, Ranji-Burachaloo H, McKenzie T, Fu Q, Qiao G. Heterogeneously Catalyzed Fenton-Reversible Addition-Fragmentation Chain Transfer Polymerization in the Presence of Air. MACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 52, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1021/acs.macromol.9b00038
- Allison-Logan S, Karimi F, Sun Y, McKenzie T, Nothling M, Bryant G, Qiao G. Highly Living Stars via Core-First Photo-RAFT Polymerization: Exploitation for Ultra-High Molecular Weight Star Synthesis. ACS Macro Letters. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 8, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1021/acsmacrolett.9b00643
- Qiu W, Gurr P, Da Silva G, Qiao G. Insights into the mechanochromism of spiropyran elastomers. POLYMER CHEMISTRY. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2019, Vol. 10, Issue 13. DOI: 10.1039/c9py00017h
- Sulistio A, Mansfeld FM, Reyes-Ortega F, D'Souza AM, Ng SMY, Birkett S, Blencowe A, Qiao G, Little CB, Shu CC, Bendele AM, Valade D, Donohue AC, Quinn JF, Whittaker MR, Davis TP, Tait RJ. Intra-articular Treatment of Osteoarthritis with Diclofenac-Conjugated Polymer Reduces Inflammation and Pain. ACS Applied Bio Materials. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 2, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1021/acsabm.9b00232
- Liu M, Nothling M, Webley P, Fu Q, Qiao G. Postcombustion Carbon Capture Using Thin-Film Composite Membranes. Accounts of Chemical Research. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 52, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1021/acs.accounts.9b00111
- Xie K, Fu Q, Qiao G, Webley P. Recent progress on fabrication methods of polymeric thin film gas separation membranes for CO2 capture. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 572. DOI: 10.1016/j.memsci.2018.10.049
- Reyhani A, McKenzie T, Fu Q, Qiao G. Redox-Initiated Reversible Addition-Fragmentation Chain Transfer (RAFT) Polymerization. Australian Journal of Chemistry. CSIRO Publishing. 2019, Vol. 72, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1071/CH19109
- Nothling M, McKenzie T, Eastland I, Chien H, Collins J, Meyer AS, Qiao G. Self-deoxygenating glassware.. Chemical Communications. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2019, Vol. 55, Issue 59. DOI: 10.1039/c9cc03477c
- Collins J, McKenzie T, Nothling M, Allison-Logan S, Ashokkumar M, Qiao G. Sonochemically Initiated RAFT Polymerization in Organic Solvents. MACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 52, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1021/acs.macromol.8b01845
- Reyhani A, Allison-Logan S, Ranji-Burachaloo H, McKenzie T, Bryant G, Qiao G. Synthesis of ultra-high molecular weight polymers by controlled production of initiating radicals. Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polymer Chemistry. John Wiley & Sons. 2019, Vol. 57, Issue 18. DOI: 10.1002/pola.29318
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile