Dr Guoping Hu
- Hydrogen production (Redistributon, Separation)
- Porous Material (MOFs, Zeolites, Carbon)
- Separation Technologies (Adsorption, solvent absorption, solvent extraction)
Guoping is a research fellow working on the separation of methane using adsorption. He received his Bachelor in Chemical Engineering from Shandong University and did his Master project at Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences. He then moved to Melbourne University in Australia and earned his PhD in 2018. During his PhD study, he developed a rapid screening technology for determining the efficiency of promoters and initiated a bio-inspired temperature responsive promoter for carbon capture. He was awarded the Young Scientist Research Prizes by Royal Society of Victoria in 2017. He has also become a finalist for the 2017 IChemE Global Award for Young Researchers and won 2017 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad. He holds more than 20 patents and publications till now.
His research interests focus on separation sciences and engineering, particularly gas separations using solvent absorption and solid adsorption, and hydrometallurgy including mineral leaching and solvent extraction. His is also interested the development of novel sorbents, biocatalysts, carbon dioxide utilization and clean energy systems. He has worked on various projects including pilot plant demonstrations of carbon capture processes and separation of carbon dioxide from mixed gases using promoted solvent technology, aiming at maximizing carbon dioxide separation efficiency by investigating different promoters. He also completed a project on solvent extraction of vanadium from acidic leaching solutions, which is currently under demonstration at the Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- Hu G, Xiao Z, Smith K, Kentish S, Stevens G, Connal L. A carbonic anhydrase inspired temperature responsive polymer based catalyst for accelerating carbon capture. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 332. DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2017.09.039
- Hu G, Smith K, Wu Y, Mumford K, Kentish S, Stevens G. Carbon dioxide capture by solvent absorption using amino acids: A review. CHINESE JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING. Chemical Industry Press. 2018, Vol. 26, Issue 11. DOI: 10.1016/j.cjche.2018.08.003
- Wu Y, Wu F, Hu G, Mirza N, Stevens G, Mumford K. Modelling of a post-combustion carbon dioxide capture absorber using potassium carbonate solvent in Aspen Custom Modeller. CHINESE JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING. Chemical Industry Press. 2018, Vol. 26, Issue 11. DOI: 10.1016/j.cjche.2018.06.005
- Hu G, Smith K, Nicholas N, Yong J, Kentish S, Stevens G. Enzymatic carbon dioxide capture using a thermally stable carbonic anhydrase as a promoter in potassium carbonate solvents. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 307. DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2016.08.064
- Chen S, Hu G, Smith K, Mumford K, Zhang Y, Stevens G. Kinetics of CO2 Absorption in an Ethylethanolamine Based Solution. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 56, Issue 43. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.7b02932
- Wu Y, Mirza N, Hu G, Smith K, Stevens G, Mumford K. Precipitating Characteristics of Potassium Bicarbonate Using Concentrated Potassium Carbonate Solvent for Carbon Dioxide Capture. Part 1. Nucleation. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 56, Issue 23. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.7b00699
- Hu G, Smith K, Liu L, Kentish S, Stevens G. Reaction kinetics and mechanism between histidine and carbon dioxide. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 307. DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2016.08.066
- Hu G, Smith K, Wu Y, Kentish S, Stevens G. Recent progress on the performance of different rate promoters in potassium carbonate solvents for CO2 capture. 13th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies (GHGT). Elsevier BV. 2017, Vol. 114. Editors: Dixon T, Laloui L, Twinning S. DOI: 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.03.1374
- Hu G, Smith K, Wu Y, Kentish S, Stevens G. Screening Amino Acid Salts as Rate Promoters in Potassium Carbonate Solvent for Carbon Dioxide Absorption. 17th International Conference on Petroleum Phase Behavior and Fouling (PetroPhase). American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 31, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.7b00157
- Hu G, Nicholas N, Smith K, Mumford K, Kentish S, Stevens G. Carbon dioxide absorption into promoted potassium carbonate solutions: A review. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GREENHOUSE GAS CONTROL. Elsevier. 2016, Vol. 53. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijggc.2016.07.020
- Chen D, Zhao H, Hu G, Qi T, Yu H, Zhang G, Wang L, Wang W. An extraction process to recover vanadium from low-grade vanadium-bearing titanomagnetite. JOURNAL OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS. Elsevier BV. 2015, Vol. 294. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2015.03.054
- Hu G, Chen D, Wang L, Liu J, Zhao H, Liu Y, Qi T, Zhang C, Yu P. Extraction of vanadium from chloride solution with high concentration of iron by solvent extraction using D2EHPA. SEPARATION AND PURIFICATION TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 125. DOI: 10.1016/j.seppur.2014.01.031
- Chen D-S, Zhao L-S, Qi T, Hu G, Zhao H-X, Li J, Wang L-N. Desilication from titanium-vanadium slag by alkaline leaching. TRANSACTIONS OF NONFERROUS METALS SOCIETY OF CHINA. Nonferrous Metals Society of China. 2013, Vol. 23, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1016/S1003-6326(13)62836-8
- Zhong BN, Xue TY, Hu G, Chen WL, Wang LN, Qi T. Enrichment of low grade reduced titanium slag by H3PO4activation roasting and acid leaching. Guocheng Gongcheng Xuebao/The Chinese Journal of Process Engineering. 2013, Vol. 13, Issue 3.
- Hu G, Chen D, Qi T, Zhang C, Zhao H, Liu Y, Yu P, Wang L. Extraction of Vanadium from Chloride Solutions Using di (2-ethylhexyl) Phosphate. 3rd International Conference on Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials (CEAM 2013). Trans Tech Publications. 2013, Vol. 785-786. Editors: Yu L, Guo WP, Sun M, He J. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.785-786.117
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile