Professor Robin Batterham
- Aluminium production
- Brown coal dewatering
Professor Robin Batterham joined the Melbourne School of Engineering as Kernot Professor in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering in 2010. He has wide interests including reducing emissions through soil sequestration, application of mesoscience to mining, dewatering of tailings and elimination of tailings through in place leaching. He is past President of the Academy of Technology and Engineering (2007-2012), former Chief Scientist of Australia (1999-2005) and for over 20 years Global Head of Innovation (and other positions) in Rio Tinto. He has twice chaired the International Mineral Processing Congress, Chairs the selection panels for both the Australia India Strategic Research Fund and the Australia China Strategic Research Fund and chaired the International Energy Agency Expert Group on Science for Energy.
- Hofgen E, Collini D, Batterham R, Scales P, Stickland A. High pressure dewatering rolls: Comparison of a novel prototype to existing industrial technology. Chemical Engineering Science. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 205. DOI: 10.1016/j.ces.2019.03.080
- Batterham R, Robinson DJ. The future of mining: Will in place recovery ever come of age?. IMPC 2018 - 29th International Mineral Processing Congress. 2019.
- Batterham R, Robinson DJ. Will In-Place Recovery Ever Replace the Need for Flotation?. MINING METALLURGY & EXPLORATION. Dr Dietrich Steinkopff Verlag. 2019, Vol. 36, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1007/s42461-018-0030-x
- Tordesillas A, Zhou Z, Batterham R. A data-driven complex systems approach to early prediction of landslides. MECHANICS RESEARCH COMMUNICATIONS. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 92. DOI: 10.1016/j.mechrescom.2018.08.008
- Turner RE, Philp DK, Batterham R, Thornton GJ, Thurlby JA. COMPUTER ASSISTED CONTROL OF PELLET INDURATION.. ASTM Special Technical Publication. 2017.
- Batterham R. Innovation in mining and mineral recovery. AusIMM Bulletin. The Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. 2017, Issue 6.
- Batterham R. The mine of the future - Even more sustainable. Conference on Sustainable Minerals. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 107. DOI: 10.1016/j.mineng.2016.11.001
- Batterham R. Compromise through Competition: A More Widely Applicable Approach?. ENGINEERING. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 2, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1016/J.ENG.2016.03.009
- HÖfgen E, Stickland A, Scales P, Batterham R. Superposition of compression and shear in filtration. FILTECH 2016. 2016.
- Batterham R. Discounting Innovation Could Undermine Climate Objectives. Cornerstone. 2015, Vol. 3, Issue 3.
- Franks G, Forbes E, Oshitani J, Batterham R. Economic, water and energy evaluation of early rejection of gangue from copper ores using a dry sand fluidised bed separator. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MINERAL PROCESSING. Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 137. DOI: 10.1016/j.minpro.2015.03.001
- Batterham R. Lessons in sustainability from the mining industry. 2nd International Symposium on Innovation and Technology in the Phosphate Industry (SYMPHOS). Elsevier BV. 2014, Vol. 83. Editors: Amalhay M. DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2014.09.002
- Batterham R. International perspectives on innovation: Collaboration is a key in innovation priorities. Science Technology Innovation: Australia and India. Australia India Institute. 2013.
- Batterham R. Major Trends in the Mineral Processing Industry. BHM Berg- und Hüttenmännische Monatshefte. Springer Wien. 2013, Vol. 158, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1007/s00501-013-0109-0
- Batterham R. The critical importance of innovation for the future of coal. Cornerstone. Wiley - John Wiley & Sons. 2013, Vol. 1, Issue 2.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile