Dr Shane Usher
- Dewatering of particulate suspensions
- Rheology of particulate suspension
- Space Analogues
One area of research involves solid-liquid separation processes in a wide range of industries including mineral processing, water treatment, waste-water treatment and bio-sludges. Work is continuing on the development and validation of experimental characterisation methods and modelling tools for sedimentation, thickening, filtration and centrifugation applications. A strategic goal is to incorporate shear effects into characterisation methods and dewatering models, thereby enabling optimisation of dewatering processes. A new area of research involves analogue space missions and associated technologies.
- Cao B, Zhang W, Du Y, Wang R, Usher S, Scales P, Wang D. Compartmentalization of extracellular polymeric substances (EPS) solubilization and cake microstructure in relation to wastewater sludge dewatering behavior assisted by horizontal electric field: Effect of operating conditions. WATER RESEARCH. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 130. DOI: 10.1016/j.watres.2017.11.060
- Skinner S, Stickland A, White L, Lester DR, Usher S, Scales P. Analysis of Centrifugal Settling of Strongly Flocculated Suspensions. 12th World Filtration Congress (WFC). 2016.
- Spehar R, Kiviti-Manor A, Fawell P, Usher S, Rudman M, Scales P. Aggregate densification in the thickening of flocculated suspensions in an un-networked bed. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING SCIENCE. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 122. DOI: 10.1016/j.ces.2014.10.018
- Hunter TN, Usher S, Biggs S, Scales P, Stickland A, Franks G. Characterization of Bed Densification in a Laboratory Scale Thickener, by Novel Application of an Acoustic Backscatter System. 7th World Congress on Particle Technology (WCPT7). Elsevier BV. 2015, Vol. 102. Editors: Ge W, Han Y, Wang J, Wang L, Liu X, Zhou J, Li J. DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2015.01.206
- Scales P, Kumar A, Van Deventer B, Stickland A, Usher S. COMPRESSIONAL DEWATERING OF FLOCCULATED MINERAL SUSPENSIONS. CANADIAN JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2015, Vol. 93, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1002/cjce.22137
- Zhang Y, Grassia P, Martin A, Usher S, Scales P. Designing thickeners by matching hindered settling and gelled suspension zones in the presence of aggregate densification. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING SCIENCE. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 134. DOI: 10.1016/j.ces.2015.05.016
- Chellappan S, Rees CA, Devadas M, Usher S, Stickland A, Scales P. Determination of Breakthrough Concentration and Cracking Time during Drying of Wastewater Sludge. APCChE 2015 Congress incorporating Chemeca 2015. Institution of Chemical Engineers. 2015.
- Chellappan S, Usher S, Dassanayake K, Stickland A, Scales P, Rees CA, Devadas M. Implementation of ‘dry stacking’ operation in wastewater treatment sludge drying pans. OzWater 2015. Australian Water Association. 2015.
- Zhang Y, Grassia P, Martin A, Usher S, Scales P. Mathematical modelling of batch sedimentation subject to slow aggregate densification. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING SCIENCE. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 128. DOI: 10.1016/j.ces.2015.01.066
- Skinner S, Studer LJ, Dixon D, Hillis P, Rees C, Wall R, Cavalida R, Usher S, Stickland A, Scales P. Quantification of wastewater sludge dewatering. WATER RESEARCH. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2015, Vol. 82. DOI: 10.1016/j.watres.2015.04.045
- Skinner S, Stickland A, Cavalida R, Usher S, Scales P. Sewage sludge dewatering properties for predicting performance of industrial thickeners, centrifuges and filters. APCChE 2015 Congress incorporating Chemeca 2015. Institution of Chemical Engineers. 2015.
- Scales P, Crust A, Usher S. Thickener modelling – from laboratory experiments to full-scale prediction of what comes out the bottom and how fast. 18th International Seminar on Paste and Thickened Tailings (Paste). Australian Centre for Geomechanics. 2015. Editors: Jewell R, Fourie A.
- Grassia P, Zhang Y, Martin AD, Usher S, Scales P, Crust A, Spehar R. Effects of aggregate densification upon thickening of Kynchian suspensions. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING SCIENCE. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 111. DOI: 10.1016/j.ces.2014.02.013
- Jeldres RI, Toledo PG, Concha F, Stickland A, Usher S, Scales P. Impact of seawater salts on the viscoelastic behavior of flocculated mineral suspensions. COLLOIDS AND SURFACES A-PHYSICOCHEMICAL AND ENGINEERING ASPECTS. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 461. DOI: 10.1016/j.colsurfa.2014.08.003
- Jeldres RI, Scales P, Usher S, Stickland A, Toldeo PG, Concha F. Impact of seawater salts on the viscoelastic behaviour of flocculated mineral suspensions. IMPC 2014 - 27th International Mineral Processing Congress. 2014. Editors: Yianatos J, Doll A, Gomez C, Kuyvenhoven R.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile