Dr Anthony Stickland
- Solid-Liquid Separation
- Suspension Rheology
Research Area: Environmental Engineering
Water and waste water processing and recycling
Research Area: Materials & Minerals Engineering
Flow process modelling
Anthony’s primary research area is the flow and deformation (or rheology) of particulate suspensions. The suspension may be under a shear load such as in pipe flow and flow down a slope, or under a compressional load such as in filtration and centrifugation. Current areas of research involve solid-liquid separation processes in a wide range of industries including mineral processing, water treatment, waste-water treatment and bio-sludges. Work is continuing on the development and validation of experimental characterisation methods and modelling tools for sedimentation, thickening, filtration, centrifugation, drying and evaporation applications. An important strategic goal is to incorporate shear effects into characterisation methods and dewatering models, thereby enabling optimisation of complex dewatering processes that involve combined shear and compressional loads such as cross-flow filtration, raked thickening, decanting centrifugation and thin film drying.
• Advanced Heat and Mass Transfer
• Particle Mechanics and Processing
• Industry Project
- HÖfgen E, KÜhne S, Peuker UA, Stickland A. A comparison of filtration characterisation devices for compressible suspensions using conventional filtration theory and compressional rheology. Powder Technology. Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 346. DOI: 10.1016/j.powtec.2019.01.056
- Hammerich S, Gleiss M, Stickland A, Nirschl H. A computationally-efficient method for modelling the transient consolidation behavior of saturated compressive particulate networks. Separation and Purification Technology. Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 220. DOI: 10.1016/j.seppur.2019.03.060
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Cavalida R, Thwaites B, Reeve PJ, Scales P, Van Den Akker B, Ong L, Martin G, Stickland A, Gras S. Comparison of physical characteristics and dewatering behaviour between granular and floccular sludges generated from the same sewage source. Journal of Water Process Engineering. 2019, Vol. 29. DOI: 10.1016/j.jwpe.2019.100785
- Stickland A, Skinner S, Cavalida R, Scales P. Optimisation of filter design and operation for wastewater treatment sludge. 12th World Filtration Congress (WFC). Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 198. DOI: 10.1016/j.seppur.2017.01.070
- Skinner S, Stickland A, Scales P. Predicting Transmembrane Pressure Rise from Biofouling Layer Compressibility and Permeability. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY. Wiley-VCH. 2018, Vol. 41, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1002/ceat.201700117
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Martin G, Stickland A, Scales P, Gras S. Simulation of phage dynamics in multi-reactor models of complex wastewater treatment systems. BIOCHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 122. DOI: 10.1016/j.bej.2016.10.011
- Burger W, Krysiak-Baltyn K, Scales P, Martin G, Stickland A, Gras S. The influence of protruding filamentous bacteria on floc stability and solid-liquid separation in the activated sludge process. WATER RESEARCH. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 123. DOI: 10.1016/j.watres.2017.06.063
- Knight A, SofrÀ F, Stickland A, Scales P, Lester D, Buscall R. Variability of shear yield stress – measurement and implications for mineral processing. 20th International Seminar on Paste and Thickened Tailings. 2017. Editors: Wu A, Jewell R, Wu A, Jewell R.
- Quezada G, Jeldres RI, Goni C, Toledo PG, Stickland A, Scales P. Viscoelastic behaviour of flocculated silica sediments in concentrated monovalent chloride salt solutions. MINERALS ENGINEERING. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 110. DOI: 10.1016/j.mineng.2017.04.017
- Skinner S, Stickland A, White L, Lester DR, Usher S, Scales P. Analysis of Centrifugal Settling of Strongly Flocculated Suspensions. 12th World Filtration Congress (WFC). 2016.
- Stickland A, Skinner S, Scales P. Compressive rheology of biofouling: application to membrane bioreactors. FILTECH 2016. 2016.
- Krysiak-Baltyn K, Martin G, Stickland A, Scales P, Gras S. Computational models of populations of bacteria and lytic phage. CRITICAL REVIEWS IN MICROBIOLOGY. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2016, Vol. 42, Issue 6. DOI: 10.3109/1040841X.2015.1114466
- Stickland A. Fast or slow filtering suspensions – a general approach to optimising constant pressure batch filtration. FILTECH 2016. 2016.
- Stickland A, Irvin E, Skinner S, Scales P, Hawkey A, Kaswalder F. Filter Press Performance for Fast-Filtering Compressible Suspensions. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY. Wiley-VCH. 2016, Vol. 39, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1002/ceat.201500354
- Alharthi K, Christianto Y, Aguiar A, Stickland A, Stevens G, Kentish S. Impact of Fly Ash on the Membrane Performance in Postcombustion Carbon Capture Applications. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH. American Chemical Society. 2016, Vol. 55, Issue 16. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.6b00312
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile