Professor Geoff Stevens
- CO2 Separation
- Chemical Engineering, separation processes, interfacial phenomena, solvent extraction (Solvent extraction, tissue engineering, environmental remediation)
- Emulsion Stability
- Hydrodynamics of Dispersions
- Ion Exchange
- Mass Transfer and Diffusion Processes
- Soft Tissue Engineering & Biocompatible Materials
Prof Geoff Stevens is a Laureate Professor in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
Prof Stevens leads an internationally recognised separations group, is a Project Leader in the CRC for greenhouse gas remediation (CO2CRC). He was Secretary General of the International Solvent Extraction Committee (1996-2016) and is on the editorial boards for 'Solvent Extraction and Ion Exchange' (1999-2016), 'Hydrometallurgy' (1994-2016), 'Chinese journal of Chemical Engineering' and the 'Chem Eng Journal'.
Research interests are in the areas of separation processes, particularly solvent extraction, interfacial phenomena and emulsion stability. The research is primarily in the hydrometallurgical field but also covers aspects of food, pharmaceutical processing and environmental or waste water processing.
Prof Stevens has been named in Engineers Australias list of the 100 Most Influential Engineers 3 years in a row. Sponsored by Engineers Australia, the list aims to acknowledge engineers who have a positive influence on society.
Professor Stevens has been bestowed with the honour of Melbourne Laureate Professor in September 2011 in recognition of an outstanding career and contribution to the discipline and the University.
Professor Stevens researching separation processes with particular focus on solvent extraction received the Patricia Grimshaw Award for Mentor Excellence in 2014. This award recognizes his outstanding contribution as a mentor providing exceptional support and respect for colleague development. He was also nominated for the Australian Awards for University Teaching in the Category: High Impact Intervention for progression retention and attainment.
- Hu G, Xiao Z, Smith K, Kentish S, Stevens G, Connal L. A carbonic anhydrase inspired temperature responsive polymer based catalyst for accelerating carbon capture. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 332. DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2017.09.039
- Wang D, Cattrall RW, Li J, Almeida MIGS, Stevens G, Kolev S. A comparison of the use of commercial and diluent free LIX84I in poly(vinylidene fluoride-co-hexafluoropropylene) (PVDF-HFP)-based polymer inclusion membranes for the extraction and transport of Cu(II). Separation and Purification Technology. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 202. DOI: 10.1016/j.seppur.2018.03.037
- Ozcelik B, Palmer J, Ladewig K, Marina PF, Stevens G, Abberton K, Morrison WA, Blencowe A, Qiao G. Biocompatible Porous Polyester-Ether Hydrogel Scaffolds with Cross-Linker Mediated Biodegradation and Mechanical Properties for Tissue Augmentation. POLYMERS. 2018, Vol. 10, Issue 2. DOI: 10.3390/polym10020179
- Schmuecker C, Stevens G, Mumford K. Liquid marble formation and solvent vapor treatment of the biodegradable polymers polylactic acid and polycaprolactone. JOURNAL OF COLLOID AND INTERFACE SCIENCE. Academic Press. 2018, Vol. 514. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2017.12.033
- Ma J, Stevens G, Mumford K. The effect of temperature on hydrocarbon adsorption by diphenyldichlorosilane coated zeolite and its application in permeable reactive barriers in cold regions. COLD REGIONS SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 145. DOI: 10.1016/j.coldregions.2017.10.020
- McQuillan RV, Stevens G, Mumford K. The electrochemical regeneration of granular activated carbons: A review. Journal of Hazardous Materials. Elsevier BV. 2018, Vol. 355. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2018.04.079
- Ma J, Stevens G, Mumford K. The performance of diphenyldichlorosilane coated ammonium exchange zeolite and its application in the combination of adsorption and biodegradation of hydrocarbon contaminated ground water. Chemical Engineering Journal. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 347. DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2018.04.115
- Freidman B, Gras S, Snape I, Stevens G, Mumford K. A bio-reactive barrier sequence for petroleum hydrocarbon capture and degradation in low nutrient environments. INTERNATIONAL BIODETERIORATION & BIODEGRADATION. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 116. DOI: 10.1016/j.ibiod.2016.09.025
- Wang D, Cattrall R, Li J, Gameiro Sa Almeida M, Stevens G, Kolev S. A poly(vinylidene fluoride-co-hexafluoropropylene) (PVDF-HFP)-based polymer inclusion membrane (PIM) containing LIX84I for the extraction and transport of Cu(II) from its ammonium sulfate/ammonia solutions. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 542. DOI: 10.1016/j.memsci.2017.08.027
- Yi H, Wang Y, Smith K, Fei W, Stevens G. Axial Dispersion and Mass Transfer of a Pulsed Solvent Extraction Column with Novel Ceramic Internals. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 56, Issue 11. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.6b04601
- Wang Y, Yi H, Smith K, Mumford K, Stevens G. Axial Dispersion in a Pulsed and Nonpulsed Disc and Doughnut Solvent Extraction Column. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 56, Issue 14. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.6b04353
- Vovers J, Smith K, Stevens G. Bio-Based Molecular Solvents. The Application of Green Solvents in Separation Processes. 2017. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-805297-6.00004-8
- Freidman B, Speirs LBM, Churchill J, Gras S, Tucci J, Snape I, Stevens G, Mumford K. Biofilm communities and biodegradation within permeable reactive barriers at fuel spill sites in Antarctica. INTERNATIONAL BIODETERIORATION & BIODEGRADATION. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 125. DOI: 10.1016/j.ibiod.2017.08.008
- Li W, Wang Y, Mumford K, Smith K, Stevens G. Comparison of the Hydrodynamic Performance of Pulsed Solvent Extraction Columns with Tenova Pulsed Column Kinetics Internals and Standard Disc and Doughnut Internals for Copper Extraction Using the LIX 84 System. SOLVENT EXTRACTION AND ION EXCHANGE. Marcel Dekker. 2017, Vol. 35, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1080/07366299.2017.1344487
- Grabin T, Smith K, Mumford K, Wang Y, Stevens G. Effect of Plate Wettability on Dispersed-Phase Holdup in a Pulsed Disc-and-Doughnut Solvent Extraction Column. SOLVENT EXTRACTION AND ION EXCHANGE. Marcel Dekker. 2017, Vol. 35, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1080/07366299.2017.1399570
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile