Professor Frank Caruso
- Materials science
- Nano and biomolecular engineering
- Polymer science
Frank Caruso FRS FAA is Deputy Director of the ARC Centre of Excellence in Convergent Bio-Nano Science and Technology. He is also appointed as a professor and an NHMRC Senior Principal Research Fellow in the Department of Chemical Engineering at The University of Melbourne, Australia. During his appointment at The University of Melbourne, he held ARC Federation (2002–2012) and ARC Australian Laureate (2012–2017) Fellowships. He received his PhD degree in 1994 from The University of Melbourne and thereafter conducted postdoctoral research at the CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers in Melbourne. He was an Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow and then group leader at the Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Germany from 1997 until 2002.
Prof Caruso is Leader of the Nanostructured Interfaces and Materials Science (NIMS) Group. His research interests focus on developing advanced nano- and biomaterials for biotechnology and medicine. He has published over 450 peer-reviewed papers and is on Clarivate Analytics 2018 Highly Cited Researchers list (cross-field category). He also appeared on Thomson Reuters 2014 Highly Cited Researchers list (materials science category) and Thomson Reuters’ 2014 list of World’s Most Influential Scientific Mind. He ranked in the top 20 worldwide in materials science in 2011. He is Executive Editor of Chemistry of Materials and is on the Editorial Advisory Boards of ACS Applied Bio Materials, ACS Central Science, ACS Nano, Biomacromolecules, Advanced Science, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Healthcare Materials, Angewandte Chemie, Biomaterials Science, and Nano Today.
He is a Fellow of the Royal Society (2018), Asia Pacific Academy of Materials (2017), Australian Academy of Science (2009), and Royal Australian Chemical Institute (2006). Prof. Caruso is also the recipient of the inaugural 2012 ACS Nano Lectureship Award (Asia/Pacific) from the American Chemical Society for global impact in nanoscience and nanotechnology. In 2012, he was awarded the Royal Society of Victoria Medal for Excellence in Scientific Research in the Physical Sciences, and after being a 2012 finalist, was awarded the prestigious 2013 CSIRO Eureka Prize for Leadership in Science – this category recognises an Australian individual who has demonstrated an outstanding role and impact on science. He was also part of the team that won the 2013 UNSW Eureka Prize for Excellence in Interdisciplinary Scientific Research. In 2018, he was awarded The Batteard-Jordan Australian Polymer Medal – the highest award offered by the Polymer Division for outstanding achievement in polymer science in Australia.
- Dai Q, Yu Q, Tian Y, Xie X, Song A, Caruso F, Hao J, Cui J. Advancing Metal-Phenolic Networks for Visual Information Storage. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. American Chemical Society. 2019. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.9b09830
- Song D, Cui J, Ju Y, Faria M, Sun H, Howard CB, Thurecht KJ, Caruso F. Cellular Targeting of Bispecific Antibody-Functionalized Poly(ethylene glycol) Capsules: Do Shape and Size Matter?. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 32. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.9b10304
- Ma Y, Cortez-Jugo C, Li J, Lin Z, Richardson RT, Han Y, Zhou J, BjÖrnmalm M, Feeney OM, Zhong Q-Z, Porter CJH, Wise A, Caruso F. Engineering Biocoatings To Prolong Drug Release from Supraparticles.. Biomacromolecules. 2019. DOI: 10.1021/acs.biomac.9b00710
- Weiss A, Krueger K, Besford Q, Schlenk M, Kempe K, Foerster S, Caruso F. In Situ Characterization of Protein Corona Formation on Silica Microparticles Using Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy Combined with Microfluidics. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.8b14307
- Faria M, Noi K, Johnston S, Ju Y, Bjornmalm M, Caruso F, Crampin E. Kinetic Modeling of Nanoparticle-Cell Association. 63rd Annual Meeting of the Biophysical-Society. Biophysical Society. 2019, Vol. 116, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1016/j.bpj.2018.11.2399
- Zhang W, Christofferson AJ, Besford Q, Richardson J, Guo J, Ju Y, Kempe K, Yarovsky I, Caruso F. Metal-dependent inhibition of amyloid fibril formation: synergistic effects of cobalt-tannic acid networks. NANOSCALE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1039/c8nr09221d
- Zhu W, Guo J, Ju Y, Serda RE, Croissant JG, Shang J, Coker E, Agola JO, Zhong Q, Ping Y, Caruso F, Brinker CJ. Modular Metal-Organic Polyhedra Superassembly: From Molecular-Level Design to Targeted Drug Delivery. ADVANCED MATERIALS. Wiley-VCH. 2019, Vol. 31, Issue 12. DOI: 10.1002/adma.201806774
- Cui J, Ju Y, Houston ZH, Class JJ, Fletcher NL, Alcantara S, Dai Q, Howard CB, Mahler SM, Wheatley A, De Rose R, Brannon P, Paterson B, Donnelly P, Thurecht K, Caruso F, Kent S. Modulating Targeting of Poly(ethylene glycol) Particles to Tumor Cells Using Bispecific Antibodies. ADVANCED HEALTHCARE MATERIALS. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2019, Vol. 8, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1002/adhm.201801607
- Zhong Q, Li S, Chen J, Xie K, Pan S, Richardson J, Caruso F. Oxidation-Mediated Kinetic Strategies for Engineering Metal-Phenolic Networks.. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2019. DOI: 10.1002/anie.201907666
- Rahim M, Kristufek S, Pan S, Richardson J, Caruso F. Phenolic Building Blocks for the Assembly of Functional Materials. ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION. Wiley-VCH. 2019, Vol. 58, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1002/anie.201807804
- Tardy B, Richardson J, Nithipipat V, Kempe K, Guo J, Cho K, Rahim M, Ejima H, Caruso F. Protein Adsorption and Coordination-Based End-Tethering of Functional Polymers on Metal-Phenolic Network Films. BIOMACROMOLECULES. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 20, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1021/acs.biomac.9b00006
- Faria M, Noi KF, Dai Q, BjÖrnmalm M, Johnston ST, Kempe K, Caruso F, Crampin E. Revisiting cell-particle association in vitro: A quantitative method to compare particle performance.. J Control Release. Elsevier. 2019, Vol. 307. DOI: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2019.06.027
- Lin G, Rahim M, Leeming M, Cortez-Jugo C, Besford Q, Ju Y, Zhong Q, Johnston S, Zhou J, Caruso F. Selective Metal-Phenolic Assembly from Complex Multicomponent Mixtures. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 19. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.9b04195
- Wojnilowicz M, Glab A, Bertucci A, Caruso F, Cavalieri F. Super-resolution Imaging of Proton Sponge-Triggered Rupture of Endosomes and Cytosolic Release of Small Interfering RNA. ACS NANO. American Chemical Society. 2019, Vol. 13, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.8b05151
- Zhu W, Guo J, Amini S, Ju Y, Agola JO, Zimpel A, Shang J, Noureddine A, Caruso F, Wuttke S, Croissant JG, Brinker CJ. SupraCells: Living Mammalian Cells Protected within Functional Modular Nanoparticle-Based Exoskeletons. ADVANCED MATERIALS. Wiley-VCH. 2019, Vol. 31, Issue 25. DOI: 10.1002/adma.201900545
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile