Professor Greg Qiao
Greg Qiao is Professor of Macromolecular Chemistry and Engineering and Assistant Dean (Research) in the Melbourne School of Engineering. He is also a Deputy Head of the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.
His current Research Activities include:
Environmental Engineering - Greenhouse Gas Recovery
Nano and Biomolecular Engineering - Nanostructured Materials, Tissue Engineering
Materials and Minerals Engineering - Polymer Science
The research interests of Greg Qiao are in the area of synthetic polymer science and engineering. His research applies various polymerization techniques, including controlled free radical polymerizations, to synthesize novel polymeric architectures, biodegradable and functional polymers. His industrial research is in the synthesis of the nanogels for automotive coatings and the novel hydrogels for biological separations. The research in biopolymers is focused on applications in tissue engineering.
Greg leads an internationally recognized Polymer Science Group in the Department and is currently the president of the Victorian Polymer Group under Royal Australia Chemical Institute. He is also a project leader of the Cooperative Research Centre for Greenhouse Gas Technologies (CO2CRC) and CRC for Polymers.
Caruso, F., Qiao, G. G., Blencowe, A. R., Goh, T. K., Connal, L. A. & Such, G. K. Preparation of a crosslinked multilayer film. (US Application: US20110250353 A1 20111013, 2011)
Caruso, F., Qiao, G. G., Blencowe, A. R., Goh, T. K., Connal, L. A. & Such, G. K. Preparation of a crosslinked multilayer film. (Patent Number: US20110250353A1, 2011) Solomon, D. H., Prime, E. L., Sunartio, D., Qiao, G. G., Dagley, I. & Blencowe, A. Method for controlling water evaporation. (Application: WO patent application 2009-AU1684, 2010).
Qiao, G. G.; Powell, C. Kentish, S.; Gas Separation Membranes and Processes For The Manufacture Thereof. (PCT Int. Appl. 2008: PCT2007906042; US Application: US 61/001879, 2008)
Qiao, G.G.; Connal, L.; Wiltshire, J.; Porous Polymeric Materials and Polymer Particles For Preparation Thereof (PCT Full Patent, November, 2006)
Qiao, G.G.; Solomon, D.H.; Gurr, P.; Mills, M. Microgel Composition ( PCT Int. Appl. 2003, PCT AU2003/01580)
Solomon, D.H.; Qiao, G.G.; Kwok, A.; Hydrogel Preparation and Process for Manufacture ( PCT Int. Appl. 2003, PCT AU2003/001680 )
Solomon. D.H.; Qiao, G.G.; Caulfield, M. J. Atchison, S. Process for Preparation of Ultra Thin Membranes ( PCT Int. Appl. 2001, PCT AU01/01030; WO 0213956; US 09/645956)
Qiao, G.G.; Solomon, D.H.; Shaw, R.W.; Juric D. D. Improved Carbon Composites ( PCT Int. Appl. 2000, WO 0056811; EP 1210387; NO 2001004604; ZA 2001007808;)
Solomon, D.H.; Qiao, G.G.; Abrol. S. Process for Microgel Preparation ( PCT Int. Appl. 1999, 53 pp. WO 9958588; US6545095; TW 444024; AU 9936924; CA 2331785; EP 1076668; JP 2002514667)
- Moonshi SS, Zhang C, Peng H, Puttick S, Rose S, Fisk NM, Bhakoo K, Stringer BW, Qiao G, Gurr P, Whittaker AK. A unique F-19 MRI agent for the tracking of non phagocytic cells in vivo. NANOSCALE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2018, Vol. 10, Issue 17. DOI: 10.1039/C8NR00703A
- Lam SJ, Wong E, Boyer C, Qiao G. Antimicrobial polymeric nanoparticles. PROGRESS IN POLYMER SCIENCE. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 76. DOI: 10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2017.07.007
- Shirbin S, Insua I, Holden J, Lenzo J, Reynolds E, O'Brien-Simpson N, Qiao G. Architectural Effects of Star-Shaped “Structurally Nanoengineered Antimicrobial Peptide Polymers” (SNAPPs) on Their Biological Activity. Advanced Healthcare Materials. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2018. DOI: 10.1002/adhm.201800627
- Karimi F, Thombare VJ, Hutton CA, O'Connor A, Qiao G, Heath D. Beyond RGD; nanoclusters of syndecan- and integrin-binding ligands synergistically enhance cell/material interactions. Biomaterials. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 187. DOI: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2018.10.002
- Ozcelik B, Palmer J, Ladewig K, Marina PF, Stevens G, Abberton K, Morrison W, Blencowe A, Qiao G. Biocompatible Porous Polyester-Ether Hydrogel Scaffolds with Cross-Linker Mediated Biodegradation and Mechanical Properties for Tissue Augmentation. POLYMERS. 2018, Vol. 10, Issue 2. DOI: 10.3390/polym10020179
- Reyhani A, Nothling M, Ranji-Burachaloo H, McKenzie T, Fu Q, Tan S, Bryant G, Qiao G. Blood-Catalyzed RAFT Polymerization. ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION. Wiley-VCH. 2018, Vol. 57, Issue 32. DOI: 10.1002/anie.201802544
- Xie K, Fu Q, Xu C, Lu H, Zhao Q, Curtain R, Gu D, Webley P, Qiao G. Continuous assembly of a polymer on a metal-organic framework (CAP on MOF): a 30 nm thick polymeric gas separation membrane. ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2018, Vol. 11, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1039/c7ee02820b
- Ren J, Lawrence J, Knight AS, Abdilla A, Zerdan RB, Levi AE, Oschmann B, Gutekunst WR, Lee S-H, Li Y, McGrath AJ, Bates CM, Qiao G, Hawker CJ. Controlled Formation and Binding Selectivity of Discrete Oligo(methyl methacrylate) Stereocomplexes. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. American Chemical Society. 2018, Vol. 140, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.7b13095
- Fu Q, Ranji-Burachaloo H, Liu M, McKenzie T, Tan S, Reyhani A, Nothling M, Dunstan D, Qiao G. Controlled RAFT polymerization facilitated by a nanostructured enzyme mimic. POLYMER CHEMISTRY. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2018, Vol. 9, Issue 35. DOI: 10.1039/c8py00832a
- Collins J, McKenzie T, Nothling M, Ashokkumar M, Qiao G. High frequency sonoATRP of 2-hydroxyethyl acrylate in an aqueous medium. POLYMER CHEMISTRY. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2018, Vol. 9, Issue 19. DOI: 10.1039/c8py00456k
- McKenzie T, Reyhani A, Nothling M, Qiao G. Hydroxyl radical activated RAFT polymerization. ACS Symposium Series. American Chemical Society. 2018, Vol. 1284. DOI: 10.1021/bk-2018-1284.ch014
- Ranji-Burachaloo H, Fu Q, Gurr P, Dunstan D, Qiao G. Improved Fenton Therapy Using Cancer Cell Hydrogen Peroxide. Australian Journal of Chemistry. CSIRO Publications. 2018. DOI: 10.1071/CH18281
- Karimi F, O'Connor A, Qiao G, Heath D. Integrin Clustering Matters: A Review of Biomaterials Functionalized with Multivalent Integrin-Binding Ligands to Improve Cell Adhesion, Migration, Differentiation, Angiogenesis, and Biomedical Device Integration. ADVANCED HEALTHCARE MATERIALS. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2018, Vol. 7, Issue 12. DOI: 10.1002/adhm.201701324
- Xie K, Fu Q, Webley P, Qiao G. MOF Scaffold for a High-Performance Mixed-Matrix Membrane. ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION. Wiley-VCH. 2018, Vol. 57, Issue 28. DOI: 10.1002/anie.201804162
- Gu D, Tan S, O'Connor A, Qiao G. On-Demand Cascade Release of Hydrophobic Chemotherapeutics from a Multicomponent Hydrogel System. ACS BIOMATERIALS SCIENCE & ENGINEERING. American Chemical Society. 2018, Vol. 4, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1021/acsbiomaterials.8b00166
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile