Associate Professor Dalton Harvie
- Biofluids (understanding biological flows)
- Dairy Processing
- Mineral Processing (droplet coalescence, solvent extraction)
- Multiphysics Fluid Dynamics
Dr Harvie's speciality is Multiphysics Fluid Dynamics (MFD), encompassing method development and application. MFD problems involve the coupling of fluid dynamics to other physical phenomenon, and often involve coupled quantities, the solution of nonlinear equations, multiple material phases and linked complex geometries. Dr Harvie applies this numerical technology to improving and understanding processes across a number of industrial and application areas, including the biomedical, mining, dairy and microfluidic fields.
More details of the research conducted within our group can be found on the MFD page.
- Daish C, Blanchard R, Pirogova E, Harvie D, Pivonka P. Numerical calculation of permeability of periodic porous materials: Application to periodic arrays of spheres and 3D scaffold microstructures. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering. John Wiley & Sons. 2019. DOI: 10.1002/nme.6037
- Pillai R, Berry J, Harvie D, Davidson M. Electrophoretically mediated partial coalescence of a charged microdrop. 11th International Conference on CFD in the Minerals and Process Industries (CFD). Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 169. DOI: 10.1016/j.ces.2016.07.022
- Daish C, Blanchard R, Gulati K, Losic D, Findlay D, Harvie D, Pivonka P. Estimation of anisotropic permeability in trabecular bone based on microCT imaging and pore-scale fluid dynamics simulations. Bone Reports. Elsevier BV. 2017, Vol. 6. DOI: 10.1016/j.bonr.2016.12.002
- Ng KSY, Haribabu M, Harvie D, Dunstan D, Martins GJO. Mechanisms of flux decline in skim milk ultrafiltration: A review. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 523. DOI: 10.1016/j.memsci.2016.09.036
- Hsu W-L, Harvie D, Davidson M, Dunstan D, Hwang J, Daiguji H. Viscoelectric Effects in Nanochannel Electrokinetics. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY C. American Chemical Society. 2017, Vol. 121, Issue 37. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.7b06798
- Pillai R, Berry J, Harvie D, Davidson M. Electrokinetics of isolated electrified drops. SOFT MATTER. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2016, Vol. 12, Issue 14. DOI: 10.1039/c6sm00047a
- Hsu W, Daiguji H, Dunstan D, Davidson M, Harvie D. Electrokinetics of the silica and aqueous electrolyte solution interface: Viscoelectric effects. ADVANCES IN COLLOID AND INTERFACE SCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 234. DOI: 10.1016/j.cis.2016.05.001
- Davidson M, Berry J, Pillai R, Harvie D. Numerical simulation of two-fluid flow of electrolyte solution with charged deforming interfaces. APPLIED MATHEMATICAL MODELLING. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 40, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1016/j.apm.2015.09.011
- Biscombe C, Davidson M, Harvie D. Corrections to 'Microfluidic circuit analysis I: Ion current relationships for thin slits and pipes', J. Colloid Interface Sci. 365 (2012) 1-15 and 'Microfluidic circuit analysis II: Implications of ion conservation for microchannels connected in series', J. Colloid Interface Sci. 365 (2012) 16-27. JOURNAL OF COLLOID AND INTERFACE SCIENCE. Academic Press. 2015, Vol. 442. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2014.11.057
- Pillai R, Berry J, Harvie D, Davidson M. Electrolytic drops in an electric field: A numerical study of drop deformation and breakup. PHYSICAL REVIEW E. American Physical Society. 2015, Vol. 92, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevE.92.013007
- Pillai R, Berry J, Harvie D, Davidson M. Electrophoretic effects on satellite droplet formation during electrocoalescence of microdrops. 11th International Conference on CFD in the Minerals and Process Industries. 2015. Editors: Solnordal CB, Liovic B, Delaney GW, Cummins SJ, Schwarz MP, Witt PJ.
- Go DP, Harvie D, Tirtaatmadja N, Gras S, O'Connor A. A Simple, Scalable Process for the Production of Porous Polymer Microspheres by Ink-Jetting Combined with Thermally Induced Phase Separation. Particle & Particle Systems Characterization. Wiley - V C H Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2014, Vol. 31, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1002/ppsc.201300298
- Hsu W, Harvie D, Davidson M, Jeong H, Goldys EM, Inglis DW. Concentration gradient focusing and separation in a silica nanofluidic channel with a non-uniform electroosmotic flow. Lab On a Chip: Microfluidic and nanotechnologies for chemistry, biology, and bioengineering. Royal Society of Chemistry. 2014, Vol. 14, Issue 18. DOI: 10.1039/c4lc00504j
- Pillai R, Berry J, Harvie D, Davidson M. Effect of interfacial tension and electric field on charge separation dynamics inside stable and unstable microdrops. Proceedings of the 19th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, AFMC 2014. 2014.
- Leong T, Yasui K, Kato K, Harvie D, Ashokkumar M, Kentish S. Effect of surfactants on single bubble sonoluminescence behavior and bubble surface stability. Physical Review E. American Physical Society. 2014, Vol. 89. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevE.89.043007
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile